FAJL 7 at ICU (International Christian University)
The Formal Approaches to Japanese Linguistics (FAJL) conferences provide the primary venue for cutting-edge theoretical work in all domains of Japanese linguistics. The conference highlights the contributions made to the understanding of human language in general by the study of the Japanese language.We are very pleased to announce that ICU is hosting the 7th meeting of FAJL from June 27-29, 2014, as a part of ICU’s 60th anniversary event. This meeting is co-sponsored by NINJAL (National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics). Please note that the first day of the conference takes place at NINJAL, and the rest of the conference takes place at ICU.You can view the flyer here.
Call for papers
We invite submissions on any area of formal Japanese linguistics (phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics). Submissions should target formally explicit, verifiable, theoretical proposals concerning Japanese using any kind of evidence (judgments, formal experiments, acquisition or corpus data, simulations, etc.). The submissions should be planned for a 20 minute talk (with an additional 10 minutes for questions) or for a poster session.
Abstracts should be anonymous, written in English, not exceed one A4 (or U.S. Letter) page with 2.5cm (or 1 inch) margins on each side, and be set in at least 12 pt. Times New Roman font. Additional data, figures, and references may be included on a second page – no more than two pages total are permitted.
Submission is now closed.
If you have questions, please write to icu.linguistics_at_gmail.com.
- Deadline for abstract submission: February 14th, 2014
- Notification to authors of decision: early April 2014
- Conference date: June 27-29, 2014
- Liliane Haegeman (Universiteit Gent)
- Shinichiro Ishihara (Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitaet Frankfurt am Main)
- Kazuo Okanoya (The University of Tokyo)
- Satoshi Tomioka (University of Delaware)
- Main program, Poster sessions
- The first day of the conference (Fri, the 27th) will take place at NINJAL, with a reception in the evening (free).
- The second and third days (28th, 29th) of the conference will take place on the ICU campus.
- Saturday: Dialogue House conference room, 2nd floor; Sunday: Honkan-315.
- Banquet will take place on the evening of the 28th (Sat) to be held on the ICU campus.
- The poster should be either A0 horizontal (landscape) or vertical (portrait).
- However, A0 horizontal is recommended for ease of viewing.
- ICU Linguistics
- International Christian University (ICU)
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (NINJAL)
To get to ICU, please take a bus from the Musashisakai station on the Chuo Line. For more information, please refer to this webpage. Hotels near ICU are listed below. There are also many other hotels along the Chuo Line.
- Hotel Mets Musashisakai
- Citytel Musashisakai
- Richmond Hotel Musashino
- Mitaka City Hotel.
- Sun Park Hotel Mitaka.
Registration fees are 10,000yen for faculty and 5,000yen for students. These fees include the banquet fee.
If you know you’re attending FAJL 7, please preregister from here. It helps us better prepare for the conference. We will deal with the payment onsite at the registration desk.
As was the case for the previous FAJL meetings, a proceedings volume will be published from MITWPL.
Junko Ito (UCSC), Shigeto Kawahara (Keio), Shigeru Miyagawa (MIT), Tomoyuki Yoshida (ICU).
Abstract reviewing committee
Junko Ito (UCSC), Yurie Hara (City University of Hong Kong), Shigeto Kawahara (Keio), Armin Mester (UCSC), Shigeru Miyagawa (MIT), Satoshi Tomioka (University of Delaware), Tomoyuki Yoshida (ICU).